Missionary Sisters of St. Charles
The Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo (Scalabrinians) was founded on October 25, 1895 by Blessed John Baptist Scalabrini together with the siblings Father Giuseppe and Mother Assunta Marchetti. Its mission is the evangelical and missionary service to migrants and refugees, the poorest and the most in need of spiritual and social assistance.
The Congregation began working first in Brazil, then in Europe (1936), in North America (1941) and, in the last decades, in other countries of Latin America, Asia and Africa. Today it is active in 20 countries with 800 sisters in 159 communities.
The Sisters practice fraternal life in international communities, as important evidence of their religious consecration, and they strengthen their fidelity to their vocation through prayer, meditation of the Word of God and the Eucharist.
They carry out their mission through catechesis, Christian education and health ministry; they run centers of study, welcoming and listening centers and centers of legal and psychosocial counseling, research and documentation centers, by being engaged in the ministry of human mobility within Episcopal Conferences, Diocesan Offices, and parishes, NGOs, in popular movements and in the Pontifical Council for human mobility.
By being faithful to the Charism and attentive to the new and complex challenges of human mobility in the age of globalization, the Congregation accepts the Church’s invitation to place itself at the service of those who, for economic, political or environmental reasons are involved in today’s migrations, and be a sign of God’s tenderness in those family, social and cultural environments, where the feminine genius alone, because of its special vocation and grace, is able to reach and evangelize.